Monday, 8 September 2014

Not So Fast Fashion

Zara
Image via Pinterest


















I've just been published by the Huffington Post! Here's an extract from my first article...


"There's something morally wrong with having a swimsuit or a dress that costs the same as a cappuccino", said respected fashion critic, and now Vogue International Editor, Suzy Menkes, when quizzed about her views on 'fast fashion'. This high turnover low cost business model, practised by the likes of H&M and Zara, treats us to new stock at super low prices every week. But at what cost?

While I'm firmly in favour of affordable fashion (where would we all be without the great British high street?), I'm not so comfortable with the way the price of 'fast fashion' has changed the way many of us now think about our clothes. According to Lucy Segal, writing recently in The Observer, "A piece of fast fashion will last five weeks in the average wardrobe". Do we really care that little about what we wear?

As a stylist and owner of a designer resale boutique, mixing high end and high street labels with some well-chosen second hand finds, is what fashion means to me. I treasure every piece in my wardrobe, regardless of how much it originally cost, and regularly get things restyled or repaired rather than get rid of them...



To continue reading click here

No comments:

Post a Comment