|Image via Pinterest|
Giorgio Armani has just entered his ninth decade! And to celebrate the designer's eightieth birthday, The Guardian has put together these eight little known facts about Italy's patron saint of fashion...
1. The current cult of the bomber jacket can be traced back to Armani. The first pieces he designed under his own name were a series of leather bomber jackets in 1970.
2. He is a regular in rap lyrics, with Wiz Khalifa, Kanye West and TI recently giving Armani a shout-out. Biggie Smalls was also a fan – he had a penchant for Armani pyjamas, apparently.
3. His brand, with couture, ready-to-wear and Emporio lines on the catwalk, is big business. In 2012, the annual revenue reached £1.67bn. Armani himself is worth £4.96bn, and he is officially the most successful Italian designer ever.
Autumn 14 Couture
4. Armani was well-versed in fashion before he went out on his own. He was a window dresser first, working at La Rinascente department store in Milan. Freelance work for Zegna, Cerruti and Loewe followed.
5. Armani loves sport. He is a fan of Inter Milan and is on the board of Olimpia Milano basketball team. He also designed suits for the Chelsea premier league football team and worked on the interiors at Stamford Bridge.
6. Fashion wasn't his first career choice. Armani studied medicine and completed military service before deciding it was clothes that were his calling.
7. The designer, who wears a uniform of navy, is a self-described perfectionist, even arguing in a Vogue interview that he was "10 times" worse than fashion's most high-profile stickler, Mr Tom Ford.
8. Armani is practically fashion's patron saint in Italy. He has designed uniforms for the police force, kitted out Milanese taxi drivers and even designed the cover of a gospels book for the pope.
To read The Guardian's article in full click here