In an article for The Huffington Post, Ada Polla, CEO of Swiss skincare brand Alchimie Forever, talks about the all black dress code recently introduced by her husband's company, and her own sartorial conversion to the all black look.
She also shares these top five tips for wearing my favourite shade...
1. Vary the fabrics and textures.
2. Make sure the fabric selection is season appropriate. A black wool dress will look fabulous in the fall, but out-of-place during the summer. Silk and linen make it easier to pull off the all-black look during the warmer months.
3. When putting together a black-on-black outfit, fit becomes even more important. Take advantage of the fact that black is slimming and have the clothes be more fitted and flattering, rather than shapeless and drab.
4. Add interest with accessories, such as statement jewellery or coloured heels.
5. Make your outfit more dressy or casual with a simple change of lipstick. A LBD can go from day to night seamlessly with a simple slick of deep red colour.
Despite my own love of black, I do readily acknowledge that for some it can be deeply unflattering - contrary to Ada's views, I don't believe that it "...looks good on all skin tones..." and "...with all hair colours". But banning black from your wardrobe can be very difficult, for all sorts of reasons. So, when advising my personal styling clients I prefer to focus on how they can incorporate black into their wardrobes, if they so wish, by simply styling it in the way that works best for them. Time to explore your darker side...?
To see some of my favourite all black looks click here